Have a question about becoming a drone pilot licensing, or one of our courses? It might be answered below in our frequently asked questions. Can’t find what you’re looking for? Our training consultants are so happy to answer any of your questions — get in touch with the team today.


UAV Training Australia offers 3 licencing courses depending on client requirements and experience:

  • Introduction to Drone Flying Course suitable for professionals wanting to operate commercially as a sub 2kg pilot under CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) regulations. Cost $350
  • CASA Drone Certification Initial RePL Training enables professionals to become a CASA (Civil Aviation Safety Authority) certified remote pilot through theoretical and practical flight learning and development. Cost $1750
  • RePL Drone Licence CASA Pilot Conversion Course enables aviation professionals with prior aviation experience (holding a PPL, CPL or ATPL pilot’s license) a streamlined path into the RPAS industry. Cost $890

If you only fly your drone for private or recreational purposes, you can do so without a Remote Pilot Licence (RePL). If you intend however to fly your drone commercially or for work purposes, there are extra rules you must follow. You will need a RePL or fly in the Excluded Category (sub-2 kilogram or Private Landholder). Regardless of the category, you must always operate your drone safely and adhere to the Standard Operating Conditions (SOCs) mandated by the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA)

You may only fly at night if you hold an RePL and have been further trained in Night Visual Flight Training Rules (NVFR) by an approved organisation. You must then only fly under a Remote operators certificate with approved NVFR flying systems and processes. UAV training offers a 1-day course which allows candidates to gain their training and experience by undertaking night RPAS flight operations at our approved training area in North Brisbane.

CASA provide verified drone safety apps and web applications provide customised location-based information with easy-to-use maps about where you can and cannot fly your drone in accordance with aviation legislation. You will also need to check your local and state government for any local rules or regulations before you fly. https://www.casa.gov.au/knowyourdrone/drone-safety-apps

If you intend to fly your drone for or at work (commercially), there are extra rules you must follow. You will need a remote pilot licence (RePL) or fly in the excluded category (sub-2 kilogram or private landholder)

Once you have successfully completed your training and been issued a valid RePL, it remains valid indefinitely.

Recreational Pilots

You have bought a drone such as a Phantom 4 or a Mavic Pro and you are looking to get in on some of those amazing photos and videos getting around Facebook, YouTube, and Instagram. You fly for fun and enjoyment, but not for payment. There is no requirement to hold a RePL, but it is a good idea to undertake some introductory training that covers all the basics to operate your drone safely and legally. UAV Training Australia offers a 1-day Introduction to Drone Flying Course

Commercial Pilots (Uncertified)

It is possible to fly for money in Australia with a drone that weighs under 2kg (e.g.  a DJI Phantom or Mavic). This requires registering with CASA but requires no specific training or application costs. These operations are regarded as the excluded category

Excluded category operations are restricted to CASA’s Standard Operating Conditions (SOCs) and this does reduce what kind of commercial operations can be performed. It is also more difficult to attain public liability insurance without a licence or certificate. You must also notify CASA of your planned operations

Commercial Pilots (Certified)

To operate commercially with heavier drones (>2kg) and to gain permission for operations in conditions such as night flying, operating near controlled airports, or flying in closer proximity to persons, a pilot must hold a Remote Pilots Licence (RePL) and fly under a Remote Operator’s Certificate (ReOC)

A licenced Remote Pilot may be employed by a business holding a Remote Operator’s Certificate (ReOC) or to apply for their own ReOC and operate as an individual or sole-trader

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority is a government body that regulates Australian aviation safety. They license pilots, register aircraft, oversee and promote safety

There is no minimum age requirement to obtain an RePL. However, the theoretical content is aimed at the level of knowledge and comprehension of someone that has completed grade 10.

UAV Training Australia Instructor

UAV Training Course Set-Up

uav training staff working with t30 drone


To become a commercial Drone Pilot and operate aircraft outside of the Excluded Category, you will need to successfully complete a Remote Pilots licence. UAV Training Australia offer a 5-day CASA Drone Certification Initial RePL Training course (covering both theory and practical flight components) or 2 day RePL Drone License CASA Pilot Conversion Course for those that already hold an acceptable CASA licence (eg. Flight crew licence)

There is no mandated requirement for any previous level of education prior to undertaking training for your RePL. You will however need to complete theoretical competencies on Remote Pilot Aircraft (RPA) law, RPA systems, meteorology, navigation, human factors, operational flight planning, aeronautical radio, aviation English along with other modules required by CASA to meet the RPA licensing requirements

UAV Training Australia offers 5-day CASA Drone Certification Initial RePL Training (covering both theoretical and flying components) or 2-day RePL Drone Licence CASA Pilot Conversion Courses for professionals already holding CASA licencing qualifications

Five days face to face is the standard course, however we are able to accommodate different options based on your availability. We also offer virtual classroom options so you can choose which sessions to study when.

We can work with you on different payment options. Call us to discuss what will work.

Drone in Air

Person Flying Drone

Drone Flying


Remotely-piloted aircraft system (RPAS) — Defined as a set of configurable elements consisting of a remotely-piloted aircraft, its associated remote pilot station(s), the required command and control links and any other system elements as may be required, at any point during flight operations

There are many providers in Australia that will issue policies covering the commercial use of drones. If your drone is lost, damaged or causes loss, damage or injury to others, drone insurance covers your liability costs to a certain extent, depending on the policy

Although many drone insurance policies are designed for commercial purposes there are some insurance solutions that would cover recreational use (including Public Liability and Vehicle & Equipment coverage)

Industries are now beginning to adopt the use of drones in their standard practices and are finding that the information and data that a drone can produce is creating more details accurate and more efficient results so corporations are now looking for people with drone experience. Small and private businesses are also now growing in the area as people start their own businesses or find a new service that they can offer that goes above and beyond the current market.

It really is up to you and how prepared you are to enter such a new and emerging industry.  As an organisation we have taken on several staff who have completed their studies with us and we have a list of on-call casual pilots available when operational jobs come up with our sister company Advanced Aerial Solutions.

Not sure what drone course you need?

Call one of our training consultants who can help you determine what you need.
We understand it can be confusing and our training team are ready to assist!

1800 776 902

Thanks to UAV Training Australia I have just secured a full time position with Ultramag Geophysics as a Matrice 600 operator!

I’m looking forward to the hours and the experience that I will continue to gain with the M600 and payload out in the bush.

The two practical days were really enjoyable and very informative, I learned a lot and gained some great skills and additional confidence.

Thanks for your hard work putting together the practical component of the course for us!!

The trainers Michael and Wayne were professional and polite from 1st phone call to the end of the course.  I would DEFINITELY recommend UAV Training Australia to ANYONE looking to get their RePL and AROC.

I just finished my Remote Pilots Course and the instructors were the most professional and knowledgeable instructors I have had the pleasure to be instructed by in many years. Theory was so informative and their flying of UAV’s was amazing, skill that would be unchallenged.

Thank you for dedication towards my tuition. Best course ever, I learnt heaps! 

A great crew to learn from, excellent experience learning about the industry & gaining a licence!